In the later stages of my pregnancy I have had pancake cravings! I’m not normally one to go for pancakes at breakfast, but the last few months has seen me eating them quite regularly… The recipe below is a somewhat healthy version of pancakes made with coconut flour.
Coconut Flour Pancakes
By May 14, 2013Published:
- Yield: 5 pancakes (approx the size of a teacup saucer)
In the later stages of my pregnancy I have had pancake cravings! I'm not normally one to go for pancakes at breakfast, but the last …
- 1 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 - 1 cup soy milk You could substitute any kind of milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 apple thinly sliced
- 1/2 banana sliced thickly
- natural yoghurt
- Place the egg, coconut flour, half of the milk, vanilla extract, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl and mix until well combined, adding the additional milk in stages to get the desired consistency. Coconut flour works differently to regular flour and can adsorb a lot of liquid.
- Heat a pan over a medium heat, add a small amount of your preferred oil/butter (I used coconut oil).
- Pour 1/4 of a cup of pancake batter into pan. Give pan a gentle shake to disperse batter a little and cook pancake for a couple of minutes on each side. Note, these pancakes are tricky to turn over. You need to be patient and gently lift around the sides of the pancake before flipping.
- Transfer cooked pancake to a plate and repeat for remaining batter, re-greasing pan between each pancake.
- Once you have cooked all of your batter, you can top the pancakes as you desire. I used honey, apple, banana and yoghurt. To make this topping, put a good spoonful of honey into the pan you just used for the pancakes.
- Add in the thinly sliced apple and sliced banana and fry for a couple of minutes, turning fruit over during this time.
- Scoop fruit and honey out of pan and onto pancake stack. Add a couple of dollops of natural yoghurt and an additional drizzle of honey on top and you're ready to enjoy breakfast.
- Course: Breakfast