The weather in Perth this last week has been delightful – bright sunny days at the end of winter. Then today the temperature dropped again and rain is forecast. Which got me thinking about soup for lunch. I love soup (except Mushroom Soup – that’s gross. I love mushrooms, just not Mushroom Soup). Anyway, I decided to raid our fridge for random odds and ends to turn into soup – hence Odds and Sods Soup!
The ingredients below just happen to be what I found lurking in our fridge and pantry, but you could substitute other vegetables and meat to use up your own leftover bits and pieces.
Odds and Sods Soup
By August 25, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 mins
The weather in Perth this last week has been delightful - bright sunny days at the end of winter. Then today the temperature dropped …
- 1 cup soup mix
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic finely diced
- 2 potatoes diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1/2 zucchini diced
- 1/2 capsicum diced
- 1 spicy sausage sliced
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups water
- Prepare the soup mix according to the packet. I simmered mine separately for half an hour.
- While the soup mix is simmering, dice the onion and garlic and slice the spicy sausage.
- Heat a large saucepan and add the olive oil. Fry off the spicy sausage for a few minutes, then add in the onion and garlic. Gently fry until the onion is soft, then turn off the heat.
- Dice the remaining vegetables (I had potatoes, carrot, zucchini and capsicum).
- Once your soup mix is ready, drain off any remaining liquid and add it to the saucepan with the sausage, onion and garlic.
- Add four cups of water, the diced potato and carrot and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the softer vegetables, in this case, zucchini and capsicum and continue to simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve your soup! You may wish to add additional salt and pepper to taste in the bowl, however I found this soup had enough flavour already.
- Course: Lunch